[gmx-users] g_dipoles

Nilesh Dhumal ndhumal at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun May 11 02:18:48 CEST 2014

I run g_dipoles for two ionic liquids : 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium
chloride and 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium ethylsulfate. In both the systems
cation is common 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium.

In g_dipoles  comde

static void neutralize_mols(int n,int *index,t_block *mols,t_atom *atom)
{
    double mtot,qtot;
    int  ncharged,m,a0,a1,a;

    ncharged = 0;
    for(m=0; m<n; m++) {
        a0 = mols->index[index[m]];
        a1 = mols->index[index[m]+1];
        mtot = 0;
        qtot = 0;
        for(a=a0; a<a1; a++) {
            mtot += atom[a].m;
            qtot += atom[a].q;
        }
        /* This check is only for the count print */
        if (fabs(qtot) > 0.01)
            ncharged++;
        if (mtot > 0) {
            /* Remove the net charge at the center of mass */
            for(a=a0; a<a1; a++)
                atom[a].q -= qtot*atom[a].m/mtot;
        }
    }

    if (ncharged)
        printf("There are %d charged molecules in the selection,\n"
               "will subtract their charge at their center of
mass\n",ncharged);
}

For 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride, program don't print "There are
%d charged molecules in the selection will subtract their charge at their
center of "   and for other ionic liquids it do.
For 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium ethylsulfate ionic liquid program show the
comment and recalculate the charges.

/* Remove the net charge at the center of mass */
            for(a=a0; a<a1; a++)
                atom[a].q -= qtot*atom[a].m/mtot;
        }

I don't know why program is not using same protocol for all system.

What could be the reason to  remove the net charge at the center of mass
for dipole moment calculation.

Nilesh