[gmx-users] multiple molecules of same type and .top file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 12 14:02:27 CEST 2014

On 5/12/14, 2:43 AM, Chetan Mahajan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to generate .top file for my system. I would be obliged if you
> could explain following topology file question to me, since it is not very
> clearly mentioned anywhere:
>
> In LAMMPS software that I am used to, user is required to enter details of
> topology for all the molecules of same type e.g. if there are 1000 formate
> ions, one needs to enter atoms, bonds, angles, dihedrals for all 1000
> formate ions. Is this the case for GROMACS or only one representational
> topology for 1 molecule of that type is sufficient? Atoms section in .top
> file in gromacs does contain column for residue number (resi or resnr) in a
> given [moleculetype], so I would guess probably I need to enter all the
> molecules of a given type, although it is not the case for water?

The purpose of the [molecules] directive in the topology is so you don't have to
explicitly repeat information.  If you have X molecules of some species defined
in a [moleculetype], you just enter X as the number of molecules in [molecules].
  That's the way water is handled.  The #include statement for the water
topology says, "here's the definition of what SOL is," and then [molecules]
says, "repeat that information for the next X molecules in the configuration."

The resnr column in the [atoms] directive is most commonly used for polymers,
i.e. proteins, DNA, etc.  You could define multiple topologically identical
molecules as a multi-molecule [moleculetype], but it's not required.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore