[gmx-users] gen-pairs, nrexcl and [ pairs ] in itp files

Jon Kapla jon.kapla at mmk.su.se
Tue May 13 08:47:19 CEST 2014

Hi Adam,

On 2014-05-12 15:44, Hardy, Adam wrote:
> Bogdan, I had found that a little while ago but was unable to find again so thankyou for pointing me to it again and writing it in the first place.
>
> Jon, I hadn't found those file previously and they are consistent with what I have come up with independently so I guess that is a good sign. Out of interest do you use GLYCAM with GROMACS? It's something I have wanted to try but couldn't see a way to implement the different LJ scaling factors into GROMACS that seem to be required for systems with both carbohydrate and non-carbohydrate molecules.
There are some tricks you can try to get the mixed 1-4 scaling factors
in gromacs. One is to explicitly add the 1-4 interactions as pairs in
the topology and turn off automatic pairs, another is to try a slightly
modified version of the "half epsilon, double pairlist"-method:

https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2011-December/066697.html

I've tried it together with SLipids, and it works fine.

If you're not interested in the rotameric states of omega in your
carbohydrates, you might as well scale the 1-4 interactions the same as
Amber as stated in the Glycam documentation.

Regards
Jon

> Adam Hardy
> PhD Student
> School of Engineering and Physical Sciences
> Heriot-Watt University
> Edinburgh EH14 4AS, UK

   Division of Physical Chemistry
   Dept. of Materials and Environmental Chemistry (MMK)
   Arrhenius Laboratory
   Stockholm University
   SE-106 91 Stockholm
Pos:    PhD Student