[gmx-users] gpu k20x vs k40

Andrei Neamtu neamtuandrei at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:13:21 CEST 2014

Hello,

We are currently in the process of buying several servers which will
include GPU accelerato.
Because of the price / performance balance in case of our limited funds we
have to choose between K40 and K20X tesla accelerators.
Initially, we wanted 2 GPU's/node (dual Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8GHz) but as
expected the funds were  enough for only 1 K40 per node. Instead, it may be
feasible to be able to put 2 K20x in each node.

We tried to make a test through NVidia TestDrive but the things take too
long. (still :) )

My question is if anybody can make a suggestion of which should be more
convenient for GROMACS performance: 2 x K20x  versus 1 K40 per node. In the
absence of any testing opportunity any suggestion is extremely valuable to
us.

Many thanks!

*Dr. Andrei Neamtu, PhD, Lecturer Department of Physiology "Gr. T. Popa"
University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Iasi http://www.umfiasi.ro/
<http://www.umfiasi.ro/> Str. Universitatii nr. 16 IASI, Jud. Iasi ROMANIA*