[gmx-users] topology in local?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 21 14:02:13 CEST 2014

On 5/21/14, 7:34 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
> By the way, if I echo $GMXLIB, I can't see it, but GROMACS is working: is
> it OK?

Yes, that just suggests you've manually configured your path and library setup
rather than sourcing GMXRC (which magically sorts everything out for you and
sets environment variables).

-Justin

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Nicola Staffolani
> <n.staffolani at unitus.it>wrote:
>
>> Dear Chandan,
>>
>> thank you for your reply. Anyway, before making any change to my GROMACS
>> and therefore risking  to "destroy", can I ask again your advice?
>>
>>  From what I have read about environment variables<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable#Unix>,
>> if another simulation is already running on a computer and I want to launch
>> my simulation but using a different topology, and if my new topology is
>> stored in the directory somewhere/my_topology, then I should send the
>> following command (for example for a md.com command):
>>
>> $GMXLIB=somewhere/my_topology md.com
>>
>> Right?
>>
>> And is it true that the by doing so, I will affect only this simulation,
>> i.e. I will have changed the path to the topology only for this run, while
>> for all the next ones the old path (/usr/share/gromacs/top) will be kept?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Nicola
>>

>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Chandan Choudhury <iitdckc at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Nicola,
>>>
>>> Any number of users can use the top directory, with the choice of his/her
>>> force field.
>>> If anyone wants to edit the top files, then he can copy the top directory
>>> to somewhere and use the GMXLIB variable.
>>>
>>> You can use the GMXLIB environment variable, and point your top
>>> directory's
>>> path to it. For more details  refer
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Environment_Variables.
>>>
>>> Chandan

>>> different
>>> ffnonbonded.itp
>>> happen,

>>> --
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chandan Kumar Choudhury
>>> National Chemical Laboratory, Pune
>>> India
>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>

>> --
>> Nicola Staffolani PhD
>> Biophysics & Nanoscience Centre CNISM <http://www.unitus.it/biophysics>
>> Università della Tuscia
>> Largo dell'Università s.n.c., I-01100 Viterbo
>> email: n.staffolani at unitus.it
>> tel.: +39 0761 35 70 27; fax: +39 0761 35 71 36

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore