[gmx-users] Cannot Generate CHARMM36 Topology for POPC with Virtual Sites

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 22 03:07:34 CEST 2014

On 5/21/14, 11:27 AM, Prajapati, Jigneshkumar Dahyabhai wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I am facing the same problem and only difference is that I am using POPE lipids. I am using GROMACS 4.6.5 and error exists for in built CHARMM27 and CHARMM36 march release.  Parameters are missing for following atomtypes.
>
> MNH3 CTL2
> MCH3 CTL2
>   I have gone through the ff files and I found something as following.
>

> The  section of ffbonded.itp file of CHARMM36 is,

> [ constrainttypes ]
> ; this section is copied from OPLS. In theory we could recalculate
> ; optimal geometries from charmm values, but since pratical equilibrium
> ; geometries do not correspond exactly to these values anyway it is not
> ; worth the effort...
> #ifdef HEAVY_H
> ; account for larger inertia with heavy hydrogens
> ; constraints for the rigid NH3 groups
> MNH3     CT1   2    0.191406
> MNH3     CT2   2    0.191406
> MNH3     CT3   2    0.191406
> MNH3    MNH3   2    0.165238
> ; constraints for rigid ch3
> MCH3     CT1   2    0.206892
> MCH3     CT2   2    0.206000
> MCH3     CT3   2    0.206179
> MCH3    MCH3   2    0.185689
> MCH3       S   2    0.233335
> #else
> ; no heavy hydrogens.
> ; constraints for the rigid NH3 groups
> MNH3     CT1   2    0.159603
> MNH3     CT2   2    0.159603
> MNH3     CT3   2    0.159603
> MNH3    MNH3   2    0.082619
> ; constraints for rigid ch3
> MCH3     CT1   2    0.168122
> MCH3     CT2   2    0.167162
> MCH3     CT3   2    0.167354
> MCH3    MCH3   2    0.093582
> MCH3       S   2    0.195314
> #endif

> In above section we can see that the parameters for "CT2" is present which is "aliphatic sp3 C for CH2" and it belongs to "proteins"
> MNH3     CT2   2    0.191406
> MCH3     CT2   2    0.206000
>
> The atomtype  "CTL2 "  is for "carbon of methylene group (-CH2-)" and it belong to "lipid".
>
> According to atom type definitions, both carbons are same but belongs to different residues. I have not tested by adding the values (will be done soon).
>
> So, the question is that can I use  CT2 parameters for CTL2 atomtype?

I have never tried it since I've never had reason to.  If you've got tests
underway, please report back on how they turn out, either to the list or
directly to me.  We will probably be putting out a new release of the CHARMM36
FF sometime soon, so it would be good to include little fixes like these.

-Justin