[gmx-users] md-vv run with the Nose-Hoover thermostat crashed..

Thomas C. O'Connor toconnor at jhu.edu
Fri May 23 22:07:26 CEST 2014

I might just add:

Your time-scale for controlling your thermostat (tau_t) is set equal to
your timescale time-scale for controlling your barostat (tau_p). Having
these two relaxation times set equal can be quite unstable, especially if
your system is not already in equilibrium.

You typically want your tau_p to be larger (how much varies but ~ a factor
of 10 is safe) than your tau_t. This is because you want the thermal
degrees of freedom to be well equilibrated much faster than the system box
changes size.

The value of time constants that produce stable simulations also depends on
your system. A couple of good rules of thumb for tau_t and tau_p would be:

1. Choose tau_t >  than the intermolecular collision time of your system.
(This can be determined from a calculation of the velocity autocorrelation
function).

2. Choose tau_p so that it is larger than the sound transit time of your
system.. i.e.  make tau_p larger than the time needed by a sound wave to
travel across your system. This is because the fluctuations in density
caused by changing the simulation box size need to dissipate and correlate
throughout the system and they do so at ~ the speed of sound.

I hope this helps. Thermo/Barostating can be really frustrating and cause
a lot of headaches if your time-scales aren't right!

-Thomas

Thomas O'Connor
Graduate Research Assistant
MCS IGERT Fellow