[gmx-users] constraint error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 24 13:36:02 CEST 2014

On 5/24/14, 4:46 AM, Lovika Moudgil wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
> Can any body help me ...As i have an .itp file in which I have defined
> constraint and then I am defining this .itp file in my .top file....And
> with grompp command I got this error . I think I have defined constraints
> on right place. Than why this error ??Where I need to move constraints
> ??Please help me to understand this ...
>
> Fatal error:
> [ file gold_bulk.itp, line 16 ]:
> Atom index (2) in constraints out of bounds (1-1).
> This probably means that you have inserted topology section "constraints"
> in a part belonging to a different molecule than you intended to.
> In that case move the "constraints" section to the right molecule.

It seems that you have only 1 atom defined in the [moleculetype], but then you
are defining a constraint involving atom 2, which does not exist.  The error is
similar to a common mistake involving positions restraints:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Atom_index_n_in_position_restraints_out_of_bounds

If you need more specific advice, please provide us with the content of the
problematic topology.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601