[gmx-users] Testing gromacs: Thermodynamics integration using tabulated potential

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:46:36 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Fahimeh Baftizadeh <
fahimeh.baftizadeh at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Before this test, I have performed several thermodynamics integration
> playing with the number of lambda points and also decoupling first coulomb
> and then VDW or decoupling both at the same time. All my tests gave the
> same results as long as I am not using tabulated form of potential. In all
> of them, I obtained 74kj/mol as solvation free energy!

That does not sound healthy - what did g_bar report for the errors in each
case?

Now, my question is that, why using tabulated potential makes that much of
> a difference?

Not by design, but the possibility of a bug is non-negligible. I would pay
particular attention to the use and implelementation of dispersion
correction.

> Do you mean that decoupling both Q and VDW can be a problem while using
> tabulated potential?

No, decoupling together is a problem in general. But I am not the expert
here! Anybody who can really help will definitely want to see your .mdp
files and know what your solute is.

> In any case, I will lunch a simulation decoupling them
> separately and will update you.

That will help establish where the problem lies.

Mark

I really appreciate your help