[gmx-users] Pressure Question

Antonio Baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Fri Nov 7 03:59:11 CET 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Téletchéa Stéphane wrote:

> Le 06/11/2014 06:16, Antonio Baptista a écrit :
>>
>> In particular, the virial-based "instantaneous pressure" (call it P')
>> computed in simulations has its ensemble average equal to the thermodynamic
>> pressure P (check any good book on molecular simulation). But, as others
>> already pointed out, this P' is well-known to show extremelly large
>> fluctuations, meaning that its average computed from the simulation has
>> usually a very large statistical spread. In other words, although the
>> ensemble average of P' is strictly equal to P, its simulation average is a
>> random variable that often shows large deviations from P (especially for
>> short simulations). To get an idea of what is an acceptable error for the
>> average of P', you may look at its distribution histogram in the NPT
>> simulation.
>
> Dear Antonio,
>
> Sorry if my message sound "aggressive" when I talked about "totally
> irrevelevant", I will clarify my thoughts.

No problem, Stéphane. I was just trying to avoid propagating the wrong
idea that a parameter is irrelevant in an ensemble where its value is not
explicitly imposed, an idea I saw stated before in several discussions.
Anyway, it seems I misunderstood you, since you say you were actually
making the same point... :)

Best,
Antonio