[gmx-users] How to obtaine different protein orientations in a biphasic system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 13 01:52:37 CET 2014

On 11/12/14 3:29 PM, James Lord wrote:
> Dear users,
> I have inserted a protein in a biphasic system (like Justin tutorial). My
> question is if I want to sample different orientations of protein to one of
> the phases how should I do that? I have rotated the protein with different
> angles  (90,180,270) around X,Y,Z axes  but as I have periodic boundary
> condition in XYZ, Am I really obtaining different orientations? any
> comments is appreciated

The only rotations that yield equivalent orientations are the ones in the plane
of the interface, i.e. if the interface is along x-y, then rotating around z
does nothing.  The other rotations indicate different initial configurations
relative to the interface.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629