[gmx-users] Regarding the Pi-Pi and pi-cation interaction

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 30 13:10:20 CET 2014

On 10/30/14 4:57 AM, Ivan Gladich wrote:
> Hi,
> to the best of my knowledge,
> Molecular Dynamics is not the best way to study system stabilized by Pi-Pi or
> Pi-Cataion interaction.
>
> However,in MD  people usually overpolarized C-C and C-H bonds to
> increase the quadrupole interactions, and thus, mimic the Pi-Pi interaction
>
> See
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jp408977b
> or
> http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2006/cp/b610253k#!divAbstract
>
> In conclusion (and in my opinion), you case use MD but be careful and test your
> Force field...

Wouldn't this increase in polarization along these bonds require
reparametrization of bonded interactions, as well?  Everything is interrelated.
  Even if you get the quadrupole moment better, I would think there are
potential issues with the bonded parameters.  I guess your relative energies
show that the approach is OK, but I would imagine doing this in some force
fields would have big implications for the integrity of the model.

Apologies if any more details described in the second article; our university
does not have access to that journal so I am only reading the JPCA article.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore