[gmx-users] on crashed MD

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 3 05:55:51 CEST 2016

On 4/2/16 11:36 PM, Brett wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Before when I got a MD crashed, I do the following to continue it,
>
> "gmx  tpbconv -s md_0_1.tpr -extend 0 -o md_0_1extending0ps.tpr
> gmx mdrun -deffnm md_0_1extending0ps -cpi md_0_1_prev.cpt -reprod -v &"
>
> Recently I have a crashed MD, and when I do "gmx  tpbconv -s md_0_1.tpr -extend 0 -o md_0_1extending0ps.tpr", it says tpbconv has been replaced by convert-tpr.
>
> In "http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Documentation_Nightly_master/javadoc/onlinehelp/gmx-convert-tpr.html#gmx-convert-tpr", there was introduction on  convert-tpr, which says,
>
> "gmxconvert-tpr can edit run input files in four ways.
>
> 1. by modifying the number of steps in a run input file with options -extend, -until or -nsteps (nsteps=-1 means unlimited number of steps)
>
> 2. (OBSOLETE) by creating a run input file for a continuation run when your simulation has crashed due to e.g. a full disk, or by making a continuation run input file. This option is obsolete, since mdrun now writes and reads checkpoint files. Note that a frame with coordinates and velocities is needed. When pressure and/or Nose-Hoover temperature coupling is used an energy file can be supplied to get an exact continuation of the original run.
>
> 3. by creating a .tpx file for a subset of your original tpx file, which is useful when you want to remove the solvent from your .tpx file, or when you want to make e.g. a pure Calpha .tpx file. Note that you may need to use -nsteps-1 (or similar) to get this to work. WARNING: this .tpx file is not fully functional.
>
> 4. by setting the charges of a specified group to zero. This is useful when doing free energy estimates using the LIE (Linear Interaction Energy) method".
>

> My first question is, when I meet a crashed MD, can I continue it by
>

> "gmx  convert-tpr -s md_0_1.tpr -extend 0 -o md_0_1extending0ps.tpr

If you're extending by zero, you're not actually extending, so you do not need
to do this.

> gmx mdrun -deffnm md_0_1extending0ps -cpi md_0_1_prev.cpt -reprod -v &"?

You should investigate the source of the crash before trying to continue.  If
the "crash" was due to a hardware problem, full disk, etc. that's one thing, but
if it crashed due to instability, it is pointless to try to just brute force
your way through.

> My second question is, as for the introduction on convert-tpr says to continue a crashed MD by "gmx  convert-tpr" was obsolete, will you please tell me the command by mdrun to directly continue a crashed MD?

Because many (many, many...) years ago the only way to continue was a
combination of grompp or tpbconv with .trr and .edr files.  This information is
labeled OBSOLETE for a reason.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629