[gmx-users] on non-equilibrium MD

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 3 14:16:42 CEST 2016

On 4/3/16 5:09 AM, Brett wrote:
> Dear,
>

> I am still confisued,
>

> Suppose for a protein, its ligand binding form has a higher energy that its
> apo form. After we got the apo format PDB from the protein-ligand PDB, we
> energy minimized the apo protein and equlibrated it and then run production
> MD on it.
>

> I deduce if the final stabilized apo protein has significant different
> conformation from the ligand binding status, during the production MD the
> internal energy of the apo protein will change significantly. If the
> production MD cannot cross energy barrier, then how production MD can make us
> see significant protein conformational change during the MD?

This is what I said before in reply to your previous question: there is no
thermal energy in *energy minimization*, therefore you won't see much structural
change.  But if you run MD (during which you can jump over some energy barriers)
for long enough, you can see the transition, provided the force field is good,
sampling is sufficient, chosen algorithms are reasonable, etc.

-Justin