[gmx-users] protein ligand simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 20 02:31:47 CEST 2016

On 4/19/16 8:28 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Here's the link for following files: complex.gro, CT3.itp (ligand
> topology), CT3.gro (ligand coordinates) and topology.top.
> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6ehLXK0eP7sa0NSZ1A0QjhTcDA&usp=drive_web
>
> When I run make_ndx command using the solvated complex file (solv.gro), I
> don't find the ligand in any of the groups. Here's the output of that
> command:
>
> Command line:
>    make_ndx -f solv.gro -o index.ndx
>

> Reading structure file
> Going to read 0 old index file(s)
> Analysing residue names:
> There are:   368    Protein residues
> There are: 14227      Water residues
> Analysing Protein...
>
>    0 System              : 46221 atoms
>    1 Protein             :  3540 atoms
>    2 Protein-H           :  2746 atoms
>    3 C-alpha             :   367 atoms
>    4 Backbone            :  1101 atoms
>    5 MainChain           :  1470 atoms
>    6 MainChain+Cb        :  1795 atoms
>    7 MainChain+H         :  1826 atoms
>    8 SideChain           :  1714 atoms
>    9 SideChain-H         :  1276 atoms
>   10 Prot-Masses         :  3540 atoms
>   11 non-Protein         : 42681 atoms
>   12 Water               : 42681 atoms
>   13 SOL                 : 42681 atoms
>   14 non-Water           :  3540 atoms

Then solv.gro clearly doesn't contain your ligand; you haven't constructed the
system properly.

> Also, when I ran pdb2gmx command for my protein, I got two files :
> porse_Protein_chainA.itp and chainA2.itp. Does that mean somewhere the
> protein chain is broken in the initial structure?

This just means you have multiple chains.

> For, my ligand I generated the parameters using ATB server, but the problem
> is that when I used the optimized geometry and itp files for the ligand,
> it's located far away from the active site. So, should I used the
> unoptimized geometry coordinates in that case, but wouldn't it be wrong to
> use the unoptimized geometry??

Do not optimize the geometry; you need the ligand's bound state to avoid such
problems.  This issue came up in another thread just a few hours ago (it pays to
read others' posts - quite often you'll learn something :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore