[gmx-users] empty index group

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:33:32 CEST 2016

On 4/21/16 7:29 AM, David Newman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So on Gromacs 4.6.5, I'm using the make_ndx command to try to create a custom
> index of a binding pocket on my protein of interest, I want to group 5
> non-contiguous residues, I can index them separately and tried to group them
> with & but that creates an empty group error because I guess it is for
> linking separate options together not separate instances of the same option.
> Is there a way to achieve what I'm after?

Your problem is that you used &.  Atoms cannot be in one residue and
simultaneously in another.  You need the "or" operator, |, e.g.:

r 10 | r 20 | r 30 | r 40 | r 50

because atoms can be in residue 10 OR residue 20 OR ...

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore