[gmx-users] gromacs 5.1.2 mdrun can't detect GPU

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 21:33:05 CEST 2016

Stéphane,

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone was angry at your post - I
certainly was not. On the contrary, describing this (rather annoying)
problem and suggesting a solution is of good use for the GROMACS community
-- and CUDA application user community in general.

However, it is important to make the correct assessments and draw the
correct conclusions. Therefore, in order to clarify things, I simply meant
to point out that the behavior is not a GPU *detection* issue, but a
software dependency issue. I suggested clarifying this assessment because a
correct diagnosis will allow the readers of your post (both on this list
and on your blog) to better understand the problem and seek the appropriate
solution (to avoid conclusions like GROMACS+CUDA on Ubuntu is problematic
hence one should use Fedora).

If you wish to pinpoint the issue at hand, I suggest the following:
- install an older CUDA version along 7.5, e.g. 6.5
- grab a simple sample code that uses the CUDA runtime (e.g. from the SDK)
- compile it with both nvcc's, older and newer,
- try running both and you'll likely see that the one compiled with the
newer compiler may fail while the other one will work.

I hope this helps, let me know if you want to dig further but you get stuck.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd