[gmx-users] Harmonic restraint in FEP

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 13 23:47:59 CEST 2016

On 7/13/16 5:36 PM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> Thanks Justin for your response.
> I have already seen read the manual and every thing is clear for me for the
> "coul-lambdas" and "vdW-lambdas"and available examples. As far as I
> understand in FEP, when we want to get rid if something gradually for
> example vdW or charge, then we go from 0.0 ..... to 1.0 meaning in 0.0 they
> are present but in 1.0 they are absent which I think is th same for all the
> XXX-lambdas.

This is not correct in the general sense.  It depends entirely upon how you
define the transformation and/or A-B transitions in the bonded terms. For instance:

couple-lambda0 = none
couple-lambda1 = vdw-q

does the exact *opposite* of what you describe above when moving from lambda = 0
to lambda = 1.  The "direction" of the transformation is up to the user to define.

> So, when I want to turn on or apply or have harmonic restrain then the
> restraint-lambdas
> should goes from 1.0 to 0.0, however it is in contradict with some examples
> in which the harmonic restraint is going to be applied and that confuse me
> a bit.
>
> In summary, I want to apply gradually harmonic restraints, so,
> reasonably, restraint-lambdas
> = 1.0 0.8 0.6 0.4 ... 0.0 ?

Similarly, this depends entirely on what you set using pull-coord1-k and
pull-coord1-kB.  If you set:

pull-coord1-k = 0.0
pull-coord1-kB = 1000.0

you can turn on the restraint with restraint-lambdas = 0.0 0.2 ... 1.0

or you can turn them on with

pull-coord1-k = 1000.0
pull-coord1-kB = 0.0

and restraint-lambdas = 1.0 0.8 ... 0.0