[gmx-users] Fwd: Re: Dimeric structure strangely separated

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 15 17:30:11 CEST 2016

On 6/15/16 10:25 AM, Pedro Lacerda wrote:
> Very thank you, Justin.
>
> So is just the system that is very unstable.

Not necessarily.  Have you tried fitting with trjconv?  I haven't gotten a clear
answer on that.  Forget VMD centering, gmx rms -nopbc, etc.  Have you used
trjconv and gotten a "clean" trajectory with no jumps or broken molecules?  If
not, try it.

> Noob questions follows.
>
> But here other similar system where shows what I expect when the molecule
> is across the boundary. This isn't happening in the previous plot.
>
>     gmx rms -s md.tpr -f md.xtc -pbc
>     http://postimg.org/image/69fafxdx7/
>
>     gmx rms -s md.tpr -f md.xtc -nopbc
>     http://postimg.org/image/swujm2th7/
>
> Another small question, my metallic ion is attached to the protein even if
> i'm using the nonbonded model. So the interaction site is already favorable
> even if not bonded. Now I'm doing the bonded model parametrization but from
> your experience this has huge impact? Distances and angles will be
> preserved, or I really need to try both models and compare?

Metal ions are notoriously hard to deal with in an additive representation,
especially if they are 2+ or larger.  Check the literature for similar systems.