[gmx-users] Simulation in Constant pH simulation ...

Catarina A. Carvalheda dos Santos c.a.c.dossantos at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 18:20:49 CEST 2016

Just to clarify.

What Justin is suggesting is not a constant-pH MD simulation (as the
protonation states won't be allowed to change during the simulation as
explained), but it might be a good starting point to understand if
different (fixed) protonation states will affect the properties of your
system (if you try different possibilities).
Constant-pH MD runs are more expensive than standard MD, so testing this
first might not be a bad idea.

Regards,

On 15 June 2016 at 16:52, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 6/15/16 11:49 AM, Nikhil Maroli wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Justin , thanks for your reply.
>> Actually, my system is cyclic peptide nanotube in water,which I made using
>> charmm-gui. Protonation option availbe  in " PDB reader " but how to
>> confirm the pH,based on protonation ? or is it possbile to make any
>>

> You don't "confirm the pH" because there is none.  You don't have
> titratable
> sites and you don't have H3O+ floating around.  The point of a fixed-charge
> simulation is to simulate the dominant protonation state that would be
> found at
> a given pH in a real, physical system.  The protonation states are chosen
> based
> on pKa values of those titratable moieties and which form will dominate at
> given pH.
>
> changed after getting the out put
>>

> I wouldn't try to make post-hoc changes.  Adding or deleting H atoms will
> change
> everything about the topology.  Set it up properly to start.
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy