[gmx-users] Energy minimization has stopped

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 23 13:25:39 CEST 2016

On 6/23/16 7:17 AM, Anurag Dobhal wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> The main aim of the study is to study the interaction between a polymer
> (chitosan) and RNA molecules by simulating them togather. I have already
> successfully simulated my polymer system using OPLS AA force field.
>
> To simulate them together I need to write the OPLS AA parameters for RNA
> molecules. I was suggested (Link Below) earlier that I can take the charges
> from any other forcefield.
>
> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.gromacs.user/85228)
>
> please enlight me where I am going wrong.

I think you misunderstood what I said in that thread.

https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2016-June/106520.html

"You should find force field parameters specifically for the base from published
literature or from another force field."

This means: find a force field that has parametrized the species you need and
use it.  This does not mean: hack together something from "any other force
field" you like and try to make it OPLS-AA.  You did not say before that you
were dealing with a complex system like this.  You just said your guanine
charges didn't add up.  So I addressed that problem.

Putting CHARMM27 charges into the OPLS-AA force field is unequivocally an
invalid approach.

Pick a force field.  Use that force field.  Do not try to kludge together some
hybrid entity.  Force fields are designed to be internally self-consistent.  If
you do not have a proper balance of interactions, you are not doing a useful
simulation.  You are generating random numbers.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore