[gmx-users] Simulation queries

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:28:23 CET 2017

On 3/14/17 9:04 AM, Acqualine Lobo wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I did try replacing HEM with HEME without shifting the columns. This time I
> get an error for the missing H atoms and several warnings.

> WARNING: atom HA is missing in residue HEME 137 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HA to the hydrogen database of building
> bloc
>                                       k HEME
>          in the file merged.hdb (see the manual)
>

> WARNING: atom HB is missing in residue HEME 137 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HB to the hydrogen database of building
> bloc
>                                       k HEME
>          in the file merged.hdb (see the manual)
>

> WARNING: atom HC is missing in residue HEME 137 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HC to the hydrogen database of building
> bloc
>                                       k HEME
>          in the file merged.hdb (see the manual)
>
> etc etc..
>
> Fatal error:
> There were 30 missing atoms in molecule Other_chain_A2, if you want to use
> this
>                                        incomplete topology anyhow, use the
> option -missing

> I did use the -ignh option with pdb2gmx, still I get this error!

Because this is not what -ignh does.  The -ignh tells pdb2gmx to ignore H atoms
in the input coordinate file, especially useful in the case of non-standard
naming.  That doesn't cause it to magically build H atoms back.  You will need
to do one of two things, either (1) build H atoms on to the heme structure in a
manner that conforms to CHARMM nomenclature, e.g. using CHARMM or CHARMM-GUI or
(2) write an .hdb entry that tells pdb2gmx how to build H atoms onto heme.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore