[gmx-users] Performance advice for newest Pascal architecture

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 18:40:46 CET 2017

Hi,

I'd recommend the Quadro P6000 or Tesla P40. These are the large chips
equivalent with the TITAN X Pascal with high single precision
throughput, slightly faster than the P100.

The P5000 is not bad, but it's slower. It has a chip similar to the
1080 (not sure about the clocks, those might be lower; FYI the 1080 is
~30-35% slower than the TITAN X-P IIRC).

I'd rule out K40s real quick, they're 2-gen older than Pascal, power
hogs with at least 2-3x lower performance than either of the Pascals.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd

PS: I assume you have considered buying 1080 or 1080Ti cards. You can
get 2-3 of them for the price of a P5000.