[gmx-users] Analysis pull code simulation data to obtain Strain Stress curve

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 08:16:39 CET 2017

Since you are not providing any details on your boundary conditions, or
whether you'd like to calculate the elastic modulus at a particular
temperature, or in the static approach, here's a general advice.

The potential energy of the system (per unit of sample cross-section)
associated with small strain is E = Y*eps^2/2, where E is the energy,
eps is the relative strain along a given axis (orthogonal to the
cross-section), and Y is the Young's modulus. The goal is to stretch or
squeeze the structure at different values of eps and plot the value of E
as a function of eps. If quadratic dependence is observed, you can
easily fit a curve with a given value of Y. Note that E is not absolute,
but the difference between what your simulation spits out and that
corresponding to eps = 0, i.e. the energy shift. Whether E comes from
energy minimization or as an average of a well-converged finite-T
simulation, this is a fairly standard approach (see, for instance, Fig.
S2 (a) of the supplement for
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.6b05274).

This works for solids. For softer polymers, you will have to try and
see. One can possibly use slow pulling to get the curve in one shot, but
I would use a scripted series of simulations, i.e. a loop like this:

1. simulate/relax the structure

2. save the final structure (coordinates and velocities, if dynamic)

3. use the structure from step 2, but rescale the box in a given
direction by, say 0.25%

4. repeat step 1.

 From each simulation, assuming you properly extract your energy data,
you can obtain an average and get the entire result automatically.

Alex