[gmx-users] regarding pbc issue

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 17 17:27:28 CET 2018

On 1/17/18 11:23 AM, Rose wrote:
> I mean, sometimes structures may really break or collapse, in these situations trjconv won't show these broken structures whole yes?
> just will show them broken (as they really are) yes?

In the context of the question I was answering, "broken" means that it
appears bonds have broken and molecules appear at either side of a
periodic boundary. That instance is always fixed by proper use of
trjconv. Bonds can't break or form during classical MD, so if trjconv
leaves "broken" molecules behind, then you've got a topology issue. But
I'd wager that about 99.999% of the cases that involve "broken"
molecules are normal PBC issues and nothing more.

But, to answer your question, no, trjconv won't fix a situation in which
the user has supplied an incorrect topology.

-Justin