[gmx-users] [gmx-user] RMSD analysis of protein-ligand complex

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Dec 15 18:36:30 CET 2019

On 12/15/19 11:47 AM, Quin K wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Further to following email, i just noted that the ligand has detached from
> binding site.
> Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
> It happened to me once before with the same complex.

If the ligand is dissociating on a time scale that it shouldn't (e.g.
you expect it should stay bound), that suggests the ligand topology is
insufficiently accurate, arising from interactions with the protein that
are too weak and/or interactions with water that are too strong.

> Doesn't boundary conditions prevent ligand from detaching from binding site
> in protein during MD simulation?

No, PBC does not do this. A periodic system contains copies of whatever
is happening in the central image.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall