[gmx-users] energy minimization problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Nov 2 20:50:55 CET 2013

On 11/2/13 3:38 PM, kiana moghaddam wrote:
> Hi GMX Users
>
> I 'm running MD Simulation for DNA-ligand interaction. I ran energy minimization with emtol=10, 100 and 250 in 10000 steps (steepest descent followed by the conjugate gradient algorithm). The lowest value for energy obtained for emtol=10.
> I have some questions about energy minimization step. what is suitable value for emtol in em.mdp file? how many steps is needed for energy minimization? and how do I understand the minimization is successful?

The purpose of EM is to generate a reasonable configuration that can be
subjected to dynamics.  For most standard MD, an emtol in the neighborhood of
100-1000 is sufficient, and there are no hard and fast rules that I know of that
motivates that choice.  If MD fails, run EM again with a lower tolerance.  For
more sensitive calculations like free energy simulations and normal modes, you
will want to minimize much more thoroughly (for NM, emtol < 1) and in double
precision.

As long as the potential energy is negative and in a range that is expected
given the size of the system (10^5 - 10^6 in the case of most solvated proteins
or membranes), the outcome is probably acceptable.

The number of steps is largely irrelevant; the energetic outcome is far more
important.  I usually set nsteps to some huge value and just let EM converge as
far as it will.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy