[gmx-users] Alcohol molecules moving from water/vacuum interface

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 7 14:06:15 CEST 2014

On 5/7/14, 12:38 AM, William Foskett wrote:
> Thanks for the help!
>
> For the sake of density distribution, suface tension, and surface potential
> analysis I think that these PBC artefacts affect the results.
>
> For example, if I use the g_density function to analyse the carbon
> distribution on a box that initially has 5 1-butanol molecules at each
> interface, and at the end it has 6 at one and 4 at the other, the density
> results show one peak higher than the other, corresponding to the interface
> that has 6 molecules rather than 4.
>
> This is proving difficult as the aim of my study is to compare the effect
> of the structure of 1-butanol and isobutanol on the surface adsorption of
> ions (here, Na+ and Cl-) by analysing the properties mentioned above.
> However, I can't get consistent results due to these PBC artefacts.

The only way you can do this is with NVT.  When running NPT, the vacuum space
you left collapses, hence you no longer have interfaces, just a continuous
system via PBC, hence molecules jump back and forth.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601