[gmx-users] constraints

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 12 19:37:44 CEST 2014

On 5/12/14, 9:50 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
> OK, got it, thanks a lot Justin! ;) .0005 ps is indeed working...
> It is not clear to me what I miss - from the Chemistry or Physics point of
> view - when I constraint the X-H bonds... I mean, will the "rest of the
> dynamics" (for example, the oscillations of the other couples of bonded
> atoms) be affected if the H-X bonds are constrained, so that my results do
> not make sense any more?

Your results certainly make sense.  You'll have to dig a bit deeper into the
underlying theory, of course, but constraints are routine and widely used.
There was a great discussion about this just a few weeks ago.

> By the way, in my case where I am getting WARNINGs regarding N-H bonds,
> constraints = h-bonds
> looks to be a convenient way to fix the problem, if I do not want to make
> dt smaller: is that advisable?

Yes.  Most simulations are run with at least X-H bonds constrained.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore