[gmx-users] confirm please

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 13 01:50:12 CEST 2014

On 5/12/14, 7:32 PM, Chetan Mahajan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using amber2gromacs tool acpype for converting input files for AMBER
> into those for GROMACS. There are some differences in these files (.gro and
> .top) compared to the information given in gromacs manual 4.6.5 abotu these
> kind of files.
>
> First, while listing charges and vander waals parameters for all the atom
> types in [atomtypes] directive, there is no second column titled as
> "at.num" in the manual. Is that okay? What does that column mean anyways
> (number of atoms of that type?)?

Atomic number from the periodic table.  Not a necessary column.  The parsing
code determines how many fields there are in the input and interprets them
accordingly.

> Second, where there is atom name and number to be mentioned for each atom
> in a given molecule in .gro file,
> numbering is not consecutively for all atoms as mentioned in the manual.
> E.g. instead of OW1, HW1 and HW2 for water, it is just O, H1 and H2.
> Instead of O1, O2 in formate, it's just O, O1.

Naming conventions may differ by force field.  In this case, at worst it's a
trivial mismatch that doesn't indicate any problem at all.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore