[gmx-users] Can't make links on GROMACS

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:35:30 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Ooker <ganuongphap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at ...> writes:
>

> > On 5/13/14, 6:39 AM, Ly Minh Nhat wrote:
> > >  <at> Justin: why does it remove?
> >
> > At present, it doesn't really make sense.  In 5.0-rc1, all the tools are
> simply
> > links to a binary called gmx that executes all of the programs, so
> linking to
> > links is really not convenient.
> >
> > >  <at> Chandan: I did use sudo when make links.
> > >
> > > Off topic question: if I disable mail delivery but still keep subcribe
> the
> > > mail list, will I receive your answer to my mail?
> > >

> > If you're disabling delivery, probably not.
> >
> > -Justin
> >
> Just wonder, why don't Gromacs use Google Groups for mailing list?

We'd be happy to use various platforms, but any change that requires
thousands of people to opt in is not worth the cost. Even if many
participants are read-only or inactive, it is valuable for the GROMACS team
when trying to attract funding to be able to point to a number of
mailing-list subscribers as one proxy for the number of people using
GROMACS. Switching to something other than mailman would only work if we
can port the subscriber list.

I have
> found that it uses three different list:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/gromacs.org_gmx-users@maillist.sys.kth.se/(the
> best one for me)
> http://221.science-biology-gromacs-user.biotalk.us/ (slow update, can
> reply
> by clicking button)

Those are run by third parties for whatever reason they have. I'm surprised
they are able to post at all.

Mark

and https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/ (the