[gmx-users] topology in local?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 21 18:13:05 CEST 2014

On 5/21/14, 9:06 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
> just to improve my knowledge in programming: and I can override it by
> typing:
>
> GMXLIB="address_of_the_new_topology_in_my_computer"
>
> right?

The details depend on your shell.  For csh you need setenv, for bash you need
export, etc.  Quotes shouldn't be necessary, e.g.:

export GMXLIB=/home/justin/software/gromacs/custom/share/top

> But in that case, if I first open a child shell, then the change will be
> effective only there, and as soon as I come back to the parent shell,
> GMXLIB will be pointing to the old /usr/share/... address, right?
> Thank you Justin!

Any new shell you open will need the environment variable to be set again; if
it's something you need often (or always) set it in .bashrc, .cshrc, etc.

-Justin

> PS I do not think I will try to override it anyway ;) And yes, I manually
> installed GROMACS because I didn't know I could do it by just using Ubuntu
> Software Center...
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 5/21/14, 8:38 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
>>
>>> and so how do I make GMXLIB point to somewhere else than
>>> /usr/share/gromacs/top?
>>>

>> If Gromacs is installed in /usr/share/gromacs, that's where it should
>> point. Otherwise, just override it by setting $GMXLIB in your shell however
>> you like. Hopefully it won't break anything by doing that.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Chandan Choudhury <iitdckc at gmail.com
>>>
>>>   On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Nicola Staffolani

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences