[gmx-users] Loop refirement using simulated annealing

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Tue May 27 22:22:08 CEST 2014

If you are just looking for reasonable loop conformation, you could also use:
modeller -- https://salilab.org/modeller/
loopy -- http://wiki.c2b2.columbia.edu/honiglab_public/index.php/Software:Loopy

If you want to fold the loop, then I am not sure SA will be sufficient in the absence of any experimental restraints. I might be able to help more if you provide information about what you want to obtain and how long your loops are. If you simply want to use gromacs to turn a terrible initial conformation into a plausible disordered loop conformation, then I am not sure that your exact protocol matters too much. If you want reliable ensembles (given the force field), then I would suggest replica exchange with restraints as you mentioned. This could likely be done much more efficiently using replica exchange with solute tempering and only temper the loops (not sure if that is in gromacs 5 though, it is not in 4.6.x as far as I know).

As with any high-temperature simulations or simulations starting from drastically poor conformations, be careful to analyse for chiral inversions and cis backbone omega angles.

Chris.