[gmx-users] PMF steadily increasing

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 20 17:56:32 CEST 2016

Good that they are not interacting at large restraint distances. If they have opposite net charges, then one expects some attraction at any displacement, no matter how large. Obviously this attraction should decay into the noise at some distance, but I don't know how far that is and it should depend on salt concentration and also for your system the distribution of charges. For instance, if the nearest ends of the peptide and protein are 2 nm apart and have opposite net charge it would not surprise me at all if there was some attraction. If you can convince yourself that this is what is going on I presume that you could do some type of fit and extrapolation of the PMF that you do have.

I am worried about your comment that you are selecting frames. If you mean to start the run, then fine, but if you're scripting the selection of distances (frames) to use as wham input, then you've gone down the wrong track. My point about wham is that if you tell your wham program that the umbrella is centered at 6.0 nm but it is really centered at 6.05 nm then your going to get the wrong PMF and if there is any systematic bias between real center and what you tell wham then you would get a slope to your PMF.

I suggest that you do some test runs with (a) two LJ spheres and (b) with a Na-Cl pair. The first will help to confirm that you have no other error in your method and the second will give you a feel for separation distances at which the PMF flattens (and for your macromolecule analogy then you have to think in terms of the locations of point charges, not make the analogy to the center of mass).