[gmx-users] DSSP

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 21 13:21:39 CET 2017

On 3/21/17 5:13 AM, Aishwarya Dhar wrote:
> Following procedure I have used
> 1. Downloaded  http://swift.cmbi.ru.nl/gv/dssp/
> dssp-2.0.4-linux-i386 and renamed it dssp
>
> 2.made dssp  executable  and moved it to usr/local/bin
>
> 3.Then ran the command from the current location where the tpr and trr
> files are present do_dssp -s  md.tpr -f md.trr -o ss.xpm  -ver 2.0
>
> 4.There are 91 residues in your selected group dssp cmd='/usr/local/bin/dssp
> -i ddixopnV -o dd4YitS9 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null'
> trn version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
> Reading frame       0 time    0.000
> Back Off! I just backed up ddixopnV to ./#ddixopnV.1#
>
> It seems that the run is going on for two weeks and dssp analysis couldnt
> be done

How many frames did you save?  do_dssp is a very slow program (it's just a
wrapper to call dssp) and if you have tons of frames, it will take a long time.
You can always list the files in the directory in which do_dssp is operating and
you should see temporary files prefixed with "dd" being created and over-written.

You can always test whether or not do_dssp is working by passing it a single
frame to -f, rather than waiting for a very expensive .trr file to be processed
in full.

-Justin

> Thanks
>

> Sincerely