[gmx-users] pdb2gmx generates very large .top for lipids with charmm36-nov2016.ff

Jonathan Saboury jsabou1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:41:16 CET 2017

So I found out why I didn't use charmm-gui initially, when using the
protein membrane builder it removes the ligand minocycline. I have found a
solution, on the unlikely chance what I have done will help someone, I'm
going to post what I did.

Since I used transformations on the protein (aligning to z axis, moving
along z axis) it made it difficult to align minocycline with the charmm-gui
protein as well as needing to fix hypervalent carbons.

I first aligned the xtal and charmm-gui proteins with uscf chimera. Then
outputted the minocycline coords and fixed the bonds with Spartan '08. Then
I used charmm-gui Ligand Reader & Modeler to output charmm36.itp and
MIY.itp. I renamed charmm36.itp to charmm36_2.itp and added both to the
charmm-gui directory and included them in .top. I combined the two pdbs
(protein/lipids/water and minicycline) and removed any TER/END's in the
middle. I also added minocycline to index.ndx.

Thanks for the help!

- Jonathan

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Jonathan Saboury <jsabou1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I honestly forgot why (took too long, erred, or both) so I tried to do
> charm-gui again. From my current attempt it is taking a while. I'm on the
> last step and I'll keep checking the output.
>
> I'll keep you updated when something happens.
>
> Thanks again, your help is invaluable!
>
> - Jonathan
>
> P.S. I am seriously impressed on all the projects you are on and still
> have time to do user help XD
>
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 3/12/17 8:36 PM, Jonathan Saboury wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I generated a 3:1 POPE:POPG bilayer with charmm-gui, ran the
>>> minimization,
>>> equilibration, and production runs given. Then I copied the 10ns
>>> production
>>> run .gro to a different folder so that I can run it with